Monday, November 29, 2010

Sandy Warner - The face of Exotica ...

If Denny, Lyman and Baxter are the sound of Exotica then surely the face must be Sandy Warner.


The girl who featured on sixteen Martin Denny sleeves was born on the 14th March 1935 in New York. While still in her teens, she appeared along with her twin sister, Sonia, in several B-movies and at least one A-movie, "The Human Jungle," in bit parts. Sandy appeared in several other films, including Nicholas Ray's "Party Girl" and Don Siegel's "Point Blank," and in episodes of "Perry Mason," "The Twilight Zone," and "The Fugitive."


Denny recalls ...
"She was a stunning model, extremely photogenic. She posed for at least the first dozen albums I did. They always changed her looks to fit the mood of the package."

It was a standing joke among disk jockeys that many of them discovered only later that there was a record inside the dust jacket. For all her exposure, Warner was able to pull one over on Denny himself when they first met.


He later recalled...
"I'm playing the piano, and right on the edge of the stage, there's a young couple sitting there, a very attractive gal. I finish the show, and she motions to me to come over to her table, so I did. She says hello, I say hello, and she says 'You know. we have a lot in common.' I say, 'How come'?' And she says, 'Well, I'm the girl on the cover of Exotica.' I looked at her and by God she was! She was on her honeymoon with her new husband. She was a model on at least ten of my albums, and on each one she has a different characterization, a different look and everything. A very stunning girl."


She also went on to appear as a cover girl for other artists as well as releasing an album of her own Steve Allen Presents Fair and Warner featuring liner notes by none other than Martin Denny. Unfortunately, Mayfair didn't see fit to invite Warner to as many return engagements as a singer as Liberty did as a cover model.


No comments:

Post a Comment